Historically we have implemented all sorts of stuff into surefire,
without giving the user appropriate hooks to control the behaviour for
herself. One such very simple example is an extensibility point to
allow the user to run tests in a specific order they can decide
themselves. Another is opening "hooks" that would allow custom
remoting/forking. There "used" to be quite a lot of these possible
features, but over the years a lot of them have just been
implemented/added, increasing the footprint (and feature/bug footprint
too !)

So we have been discussing (in email) if we could modularize the
plugin in such a way that default behaviour is cleanly
replacable/supplementable via user-supplied hooks. So far we've just
been throwing around ideas, and Tibor just brought this discussion to
the mailing list.

I am not very happy that the plugin is such a monolith. And the way we
are closed for user extensions means we'll continue growing. And it's
not just surefire.

Surefire is a bit special in the context that we have a scope that
"belongs" to surefire. We can pick up stuff from test scope and run it
as part of the plugin. Ideally I would really like to think
extensibility in this manner for all kinds of plugins. I'd really like
somewhere I can just tack in my java8 lambda/or interface
implementation and have maven pick it up....

Kristian