Hi Andreas,
My pull request seems to be unusually problematic ... I was running all
tests on Ubuntu (and Windows too) but apparently assumption that '\0'
cannot be used in directory name on Linux might not be always true:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-surefire/1386/
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-surefire-mvn-2.2.1/1539/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1976007/what-characters-are-forbidden-in-windows-and-linux-directory-names
Are you able to recreate the behavior?
Not sure how it is related to the fact that I was forced to swap to first
characters in directory name: "?\0InvalidDirectoryName" after last
refactoring (removing nio API) since leading '\0' just after '\' in the
path name started to affect getCanonicalPath on Windows (it was terminating
path name at this position). Need one day more to clarify unit test and
additionally re-run integration test with maven 2.x.

Regards,
NW