A little list,

1: we have an agreement, as a project, to bump major versions when
someone is willing to do the Maven 3.x/Java 1.6 transition. There does
not have to be any particularly interesting set of changes to the
plugin, just that. I didn't make the POM changes, for that, I just
found them, and thought: "Great! I can make this slightly incompatible
change." If they are not, in fact, ready, then neither I nor anyone
else should release 3.0.0 until they are. But I object to the idea
that the trunk of a plugin has to sit in Java 1.5 purgatory until
someone comes up with something wonderful to add in.

2: I consider it very ugly that someone decided to implement filtering
by littering the tree with crap files and then excluding them out. But
I agree that I can't go busting filtering. So, I see three
possibilities:

 a: find a way to move the filtering intermediates to some other location
 b: add the excludes only if filtering is actually happening -- but I
don't see a good way to do that.
 c: add a parameter to the model to allow the exclusion to be disabled.

I confess that my energy level here is only consistent with (c), so
unless someone else steps up for (a) that's what I'll do next.