Run the build with -X and see what mojos are executed for mshade171-base
project:

    [INFO] --- maven-clean-plugin:2.5:clean (default-clean) @
    mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:resources (default-resources)
    @ mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) @
    mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:testResources
    (default-testResources) @ mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:testCompile
    (default-testCompile) @ mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-surefire-plugin:2.12.4:test (default-test) @
    mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-jar-plugin:2.4:jar (default-jar) @ mshade171-base
    ---
    [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:resources (default-resources)
    @ mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) @
    mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:testResources
    (default-testResources) @ mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:testCompile
    (default-testCompile) @ mshade171-base ---
    [INFO] --- maven-surefire-plugin:2.12.4:test (default-test) @
    mshade171-base ---

Although jar:jar sets project artifact file to packaged jar, the second
compiler:compile compile invocation sets it back to target/classes
folder.

Igor