FWIW, Sisu tries to maintain compatibility across different versions where
possible - if you find that you can’t use a newer release in place of an older
one then you can always report this (http://www.eclipse.org/sisu/support/) with
the details and any test projects/logs. Also note that sisu-inject-bean/plexus
artifacts from 2.4.x onwards are thin runtime wrappers around the
org.eclipse.sisu.inject/plexus artifacts, mapping the old org.sonatype.guice
API onto the new org.eclipse.sisu API for any clients that used that API
directly instead of via Plexus/JSR330.

For example, if I take a Maven 3.0.5 distribution remove the
sisu-inject-bean/plexus jars and replace them with the latest
org.eclipse.sisu.inject/plexus jars plus javax.inject-1.jar then it still
works. You might be able to do the same with the test classpath to exclude the
old artifacts in favour of the new ones.

That said I would have assumed the maven-plugin-testing-harness would fully
isolate the runtime being tested from the harness so you wouldn’t need to do
this.

PS. which plugin are you migrating?