If I may expand this thread to the subject of class loaders, how is it
possible that a plugin's own dependencies can ever leak into mine? I know
shading is a common solution, but I am curious why this particular
situation can occur at all. Got any insight on the matter? I read the stock
documentation on this subject [1], but I think more information is needed.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-maven-classloading.html

Cheers,
Paul