Thank you for the analysis of the IT failures, Christian. I have a few
questions/observations, if you don't mind

MavenITmng2199ParentVersionRangeTest.testValidLocalParentVersionRange
>From what I can tell, module uses parent version=[1.0,2) which matches
locally available parent version=1.1. Can you explain why this test is
expected to fail?

MavenITmng4600DependencyOptionalFlagManagementTest/MNG-5227
This seems rather major dependency resolution change for 3.4 release,
but I do not have strong opinion about the change otherwise.

MavenITmng3719PomExecutionOrderingTest
Shows that Maven used to allow the same plugin used in multiple <plugin>
elements. I am actually surprised this worked in 3.3.9, but I think this
will be a real problem for project that rely on this behaviour.

For other MNG-6075 changes, again, this maybe little too big a change
for 3.4, but I think it is okay if remote pom.xml still work. Can you
confirm that Maven is still able to use "old" pom.xml file from remote
repositories?

MavenIT0051ReleaseProfileTest and MavenITmng5805PkgTypeMojoConfiguration
fail for me under Linux when using java7, but work on OSX with java8. I
did not investigate these further.

MavenITmng5640LifecycleParticipantAfterSessionEnd.testBuildErrorRt
worked for me under linux with java7 but failed on osx with java8. I did
not investigate this further.

I agree with the rest of your conclusion.

Igor