I did investigate some time in this request. The conclusion is that the discussion should be in the open and not in the private list of the Maven PMC.

What I see are good intended changes, but the results are a chain of commits where every change fixes one thing but at the same time breaks a couple of other things.

I really had hoped we'd reached a point where it was a matter of the last couple of changes to be able to push 3.4.0, but instead new changes are introduced and is changing the behavior of Maven a lot. Right now I don't have a good feeling about this release. Even worse, with every new attempt to continue this path by new commits will reduce my confidence in Maven 3.4.0

To be able to push Maven 3.4.0 out of the door some critical decisions need to be made. I might need to call a vote on those options, need to find the rights wordings though.

thanks,
Robert