Hi folks,

Christian Schulte asked me a couple of days ago wether I am able to build Surefire master with Maven master. It was constantly failing for him on his OpenBSD machines. Since I have several real servers with FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE at hand I did run all Surefire ITs and I was able to reproduce it. Our entire test infrastructure wasn't unfortunately!

@Tibor: correct me if something is wrong or missing!

After several days of heavy testing, thread dumps and log file analysis with Tibor Digana and various Maven combinations (3.3.9, master, MNG-6169, MNG-6169 + MCLEAN 3.0.0) we figured out that there are several serious bugs in Surefire master, Maven Shared Utils 0.9/3.1.0 and likely Maven Clean Plugin 3.0.0.

Since crucial parts of Surefire rely on native code in the JVM (forks, streams), our code was not robust enough.

As of today we have found:

* Missing flushes in streams caused forked VM to be apparently non-responsive * TestNG tests mostly failed due to duplicate contradicting properties passed to forked VMs
* Uninitialized/too early attributes made daemon threads to kill forked VMs
* Code or dependency change from MCLEAN 2.6.1 to 3.0.0 cause repeated failures of a handful ITs
@Karl Heinz: were you able to figure out something here?

Issues in JIRA are pending...

Everyone's invited to take a look at the log output as well as the target directory of surefire-integration-tests and contribute: http://home.apache.org/~michaelo/maven/surefire/. The filenames should be pretty much self-explanatory.

My big question is: how can we improve our test infrastructure? Can we raise with INFRA to get at least one FreeBSD and Solaris node for Jenkins? I consider coverage on Windows and Ubuntu way to small, we do not even have a CentOS node. Surefire ITs and Maven ITs are paramount for us, we should treat them as such!

Michael