that works because OpenJDK uses module-source-path, i.e. src/<modulename>/<*.java> Maven uses source-path because it matches exactly one module , i.e. src/main/java/<*.java>

Aggregator for modules requires to make use of module-source-paths.
I guess we need to consider to make use of symbolic links :(

thanks,
Robert