Hi Plamen,

Alan Bateman has provided some valuable information:
---
A first step to use the ToolProvider to run the jar tool make sense, should be easy to do. We've done quite a bit of work on the jar tool performance in the last few years so the performance might not be too bad.

Updating org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.Archiver to do the same as the jar tool is probably a lot of work. A few points on this:

1. MR JARs weren't mentioned. The jar tool does validation to ensure that the API provided by the classes in the JAR file is the same for all versions.

2. The Module, ModulePackages, and ModuleMainClass class file attributes are specified in the JVMS. ASM supports them so the Archiver could use that. The ModulePackages attribute is optional. If this attribute is not present then the JAR file will be scanned to get the set of packages in the module.

The ModuleTarget, ModuleResolution, and ModuleHashes class file attributes are JDK-specific so you won't find these in the JVMS. The ModuleTarget attribute is documented in JEP 261, the others aren't there yet but ASM has support in org.objectweb.asm.commons for these attributes so you should be okay.

3. The Maven Shade Plugin is a good discussion point. There are several issues to sort if this is extended to work with modules.
---

thanks,
Robert