+1, people on old versions of Java can remain on the old version of the
plugin. No one who is in a project where an old version of Java is still in
use (< 8) expect to have everything else in their eco-system (3PPs, maven
plugins etc) at bleeding edge versions. I guess many such projects are many
versions behind on even supported releases...particularly regarding Maven
plugins.

- Eric L