On 24 Sep 2019, at 23:37, Tomo Suzuki wrote:

> versions, rather than ranges. Would you share the background why your tool
> records the ranges?

The full examples is at:

  https://github.com/HalBuilder/halbuilder-support-4.x/blob/master/pom.deps

It resolves the locked down versions, but also retains the desired ranges for
controlled updates.

We tend to keep ranges between major versions, i.e. [1.0.0,2.0.0) for a
semblance of semver.

When I reresolve the bill of materials, I find I'll often look at the git diff
and see what new versions of libraries have been updated, and decide which (
and when ) we pull them in to use - often committing those changes individually.

---
"The ease with which a change can be implemented has no relevance at all to
whether it is the right change for the (Java) Platform for all time." —
Mark Reinhold.

Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net
http://www.chaliceofblood.net