scm does not work cause one common use case is to rebuild from source the
same artifacts (debian rebuild from source AFAIK, even java apps)
since scm can be "proxied", copied etc then the source can differ and
therefore commits can be differents but the content can be the same
this is why jib uses epoch+1s to enforce reproducibility.
that said once you have the timestamp the code is the same so let's not
block on that, worse case we would enable to plug a value resolver with a
few default strategy.
this is not the central part of the feature IMHO.

Romain Manni-Bucau