Ben,
What about having a release of checkstyle with all of the requested changes
and then update maven plugin and then release it?
Checkstyle maven plugin is just a wrapper over checkstyle library.

The best way would be that you (or anyone from Checkstyle) create a PR when
you are ready with the new release.

I will be happy to help you move forward with this change and cut a release

Cheers
Enrico