I'd like to see it the other way around: move the plugin to the checkstyle team
(with or without help from someone of the maven team).

We've seen this more often in the past where products took over the plugins
from Apache Maven or Codehaus Mojo and it worked out well.
Now they can make the plugin part of the release and keep them in sync.

Robert

On 23-12-2019 13:21:34, Enrico Olivelli <eolive...@gmail.com> wrote:
Il lun 23 dic 2019, 12:58 Mark Struberg ha
scritto:

> But the main purpose is not to have multiple frameworks run with it.
> That's the main difference to surefire.
>
> The maven-checkstyle-plugin is rather pretty much hardcoded to a specific
> checkstyle version. While you _could_ technically exchange the checkstyle
> dependency it is not really intended.

This is exactly what I meant.
I think is it fine to release maven checkstyle plugin with a new version of
checkstyle.
Maybe in the future any of checkstyle team will become a Maven committer
and thisI will ease a lot this work

Enrico