I wanted to copy paste that part of AbstractSurefireMojo which solves
this problem in this release but i was too lazy to do it.
I can do it and we can collaborate on the GitHub in a pullrequest -
the resolver's call will be different, that's the only thing, but
doable.
The code is more simple now, see this PR
https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/290 and it has more
features than before, so the users would be happy I would say.

--
Cheers
Tibor