I think you already asked this question before, but the answer is no.

The whole idea behind maven artifact transfer was to have a library that made
it possible to support all Maven 3 releases.
Especially when Maven 3.1.0 cam out, several plugins were broken because of the
API change compared to 3.0.
This library solved that.

The question is more: would a plugin need this library if you require Maven
3.1+?

Robert