On 14/10/2020 08:20, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
Hi,

This one is not easy since both cases make sense IMHO (using "mvn" through
mvnd or real pure isolated "mvn").
My immediate thought is to play with PATH order and to provide an "mvn"
script as an extension of mvnd and not something built-in (well documented
it is enough IMO).

Yeah, recommending users to put the stock Maven's bin before mvnd's was was what we were thinking about. The caveat is that e.g. SDKMAN iterates over packages in alphabetic order, prepending the individual bin folders to the PATH. mvnd/bin thus gets a higher precedence than maven/bin

Using toolchain we can also make it more transparent (but not sure it would
be the default without some enhancements and plugin upgrades which seems
the issue you hit).

Last thing I can think about is to relayout the distribution: mvnd/bin does
not contain maven but set maven.home to a folder not in path with mvn
script.

That sounds viable, we should try that. Thanks for the idea!

-- P

This makes mvnd in PATH but not mvn script since a lot of mvn script lookup
is done in mojo reading maven.home - if not it can/should be fixed since
maven/bin does not have to be in PATH to work. Such "conflict" is very
acceptable since it is exactly the goal of mvnd IMHO and it does not break
OS setup.

Hope it makes some sense.

Romain Manni-Bucau