I strongly recommend using the most up to date infra site support which
involves a git repo with an asf.yaml file indicating that it’s your website.
Push to the git repo and as if by magic your website appears.  See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features

I’m also strongly in favor of using asciidoc rather than markdown and using
Antora, however that’s a separate issue.

Completely off topic for this thread, but…. how hard would it be for the maven
site plugin to generate asciidoc?

David Jencks