On 19/11/2020 09:51, Tamás Cservenák wrote:

> Without starting any flame wars, am really curious: why are you
> repackaging Maven?
>
> I'd understand for OS/distro native packages, but
> why do you rebuild JVM bytecode as well?
>
> Again, am not to start any flame war, am just curious!

Short answer: why not? This is an Open Source project, not an Open
Binary project. Anyone should be able to rebuild the code, and in an
ideal world where every project is reproducible, get byte identical
binaries.

Long answer: Debian, Fedora, and I assume Guix are "closed" ecosystems
where you can rebuild every component from sources without needing tools
or libraries outside of the distribution. If you were alone on a desert
island with just a laptop, the sources and no internet connection, you
would be able to rebuild any part of the distribution from scratch.

This really goes to the roots of the open source philosophy, open source
projects are meant to be built from sources, and if it's not possible
then there is a problem somewhere. Assuming every project becomes
reproducible at some point (see https://reproducible-builds.org for why
it matters) the question of knowing who produced the binaries become
irrelevant, because everyone get the exact same binaries.

> 3) What are you really building? As in video, it is said
> several times that you "mutilate" some package to build
> it, then use it to "bootstrap" some other package, and finally
> you rebuild the target package. Given in the process there
> was once a "mutilated" tool, how are you certain, that output
> of the build is correct (I have no doubts about
> reproducibility)? How do you prove that output is what
> it is thought/assumed to be?

In Debian the Maven package we rebuild from sources is itself used to
build all the other Maven based projects packaged in Debian (that's over
600 projects currently), so regressions are caught pretty quickly (it's
rare but it happens sometimes when the binary compatibility is broken in
a core library like maven-shared-utils).

> 3) (Joker) What is the overall CO2 footprint of distros like
> these? I believe you did not use Apple M1 for this work... :)

Probably a tiny fraction of what bitcoin mining, Travis CI and
Youtube/Netflix 4K videos generate ;)

Emmanuel Bourg