I was able to provide a test, but the only solution to the underlying I
found was to modify the mvn start script by adding the missing modules (or
maybe even better: all system modules).

>From what I could see from slack, plexus compiler would need to be a
module, requiring jdk.javadoc.

Thus, we could solve it in a maven release 3.6.4 if you wished, or the next
compiler plugin as soon as the next plexus javac dependency is available.

I wouldn't mind a 3.6.4 release and cherry picking the change to 4.0.0, as
that would be a quick solution.