Le lun. 28 déc. 2020 à 16:44, Markus KARG <mar...@headcrashing.eu> a écrit :

> I don't like the idea of simply keeping javax "and period" as it looks
> like us not moving forward, since people will learn about the history and
> future of that namespace; it is just NOT ours but that of Oracle / JCP /
> EF. We can keep it, but we definitively should add jakarta as an
> alternative.

This is not really true, jakarta was allowed (is still ;)) to keep javax
for all the [;8] specs, including jsr330. Jakarta decided to not do that
and add new features in jakarta package but to break the world, their
choice.
In any case, using jakarta is not a sane option for maven (it shouldnt have
used javax as shown by the related threads on the list) so options are
either to revert to plexus API, introduce a new API or just stay like that
which is the less breaking option.
Since this namespace thing does not bring anything for users it sounds
quite fair for me.
What would be your proposed option? jakarta.inject?
To be explicit, here the options I see:

1. jakarta.inject ("forward"?): clearly -1 for the same reasons cdi-api
just got dropped from maven 4
2. plexus: it goes backward ;). Personally i'm not against it, was finding
it saner overall since it is for code in maven/lib but it is literally
about reverting work done.
3. create a new annotation set (kind of 2 but changing the API to look
"forward")
4. javax.inject: status quo, no regression, no user impact nor restriction.
When jakarta.inject will become adopted it will even make it split between
maven and user code/plugins which is good and what we should stick to IMHO.

This is why I think javax can surprisingly be the sanest for maven.