I think there are a couple of issues here:
- To me this shouldn't be done with a PR, but as a set of cherry-picks to keep
to original commit history and references.
- Branch 3.6.x contains commits that are unrelated to the 3.8.x branch
- I still don't see the need for this backport. I really doubt that people
would pick the possible 3.6.4 over 3.8.1 if they want to protect themselves and
do the configuration themselves. As you keep pushing for such a release, please
let the community comment (including why they need it and why using 3.8.1 is
not an option) on MNG-7134[1] first.

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7134