>From a maven user, plugin developer perspective it is not important for me
if I upgrade maven to 3.6.x or 3.8.x if I have changelog for it.

More important is to know some of the release and support policies.
In other words, to know which version can contain new features, which only
bug fix, security updates and which version is not maintained any more.

I see that without such a policy you don't agree with yourself.
As many ideas as many people  for a version number ...

--
Sławomir Jaranowski