Le lun. 2 août 2021 à 16:02, Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Am 2021-08-02 um 09:39 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
> > Le dim. 1 août 2021 à 22:37, Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> a
> écrit :
> >
> >> A prerequisite PR is ready: https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/519
> >

> > Maybe I'm a bit "off" on this one but shouldn't we just enable to
> configure
> > slf4j from the command line with "shortcuts"? ie --info --debug
> > --org.apache.wagon-debug
> >
> > Once you know all go through a logger it does not make much sense to
> have a
> > verbose toggle anymore IMHO and it is not powerful enough to enable what
> > you need (even the JVM uses system properties to filter the logs you
> wants
> > so can be saner to rely on slf4j for us?)
>
> It is a bit problematic. SLF4J does not log so you need to delegate to
> the actual logging implementation. I would prefer --log-level/-L {level}
> or {logger}:{level}. -L can be provided multiple times.
> There are open tickets requesting this, but no one has provided a
> concept how to solve this for all supported logging bindings.

Guess only for the built-in binding is sufficient - if you change the
binding you can want to ensure it is integrated anyway since other things
can not work properly like log4j2/logback bindings require some flushing to
work properly for ex so it is not only a switch.
That said, the point is to not make --debug specific. An interesting
question about it do we need quiet then?

Think, if we break anything (+-0 on that), it is where we should go rather
than renaming anything which means breaking end users for no feature for
them (which is always a bad idea IMHO).