On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 17:47, Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> to not get lost in implementation details, it is really unimportant
> (spotless, this or that...)
>
> What IS important is that we agree to implement "IDE agnostic source
> formatting", that happens during build
> (by maven plugin). This means _everyone_ will end up with 100% the same
> result.
>
> The only thing that comes to my mind is "sloppy committer" who does not
> build but pushes....

not sure to understand. You mean formatting sources will be bind to a
phase and be executed automatically?

Wouldn’t it be better to still have a check as today (checkstyle:check
or the used foo-bar-formatter-plugin:check) which checks the sources
at validate phase.
Then in case of failure, the committer can just run
foo-bar-formatted-plugin:format.
So committer can apply some manual changes as well.
this will detect "sloppy" committer as today by simply failing without
adding another plugin running some scm command during the build.