Ok, think the thread starts to fork (;)).

On the "is JUL a bad API" point: to day it is close to concurrent and
likely equivalent on a pure technical point of view - keep in mind we now
have supplier which makes {} legacy and worse than concatenation most of
the times. Only thing it misses is probably NDC/MDC but in current
ascyn/reactive world it sounds like a good thing - it is too often broken
IMHO. Rest is biaised opinion - for both sides - since API are strictly
equivalent *technically* as of today.

Back to the original topic: as discussed multiple times in other thread, as
soon as maven leaks any 3rd party library we get troubles so even for
logging the rule of thumb should probably be to not leak anything else than
a controlled or JRE api which means for logging org.apache.maven.api.log.*
or JUL.
Once again for internals we can get debates but seems there had been a
local consensus about slf4j years ago so let's keep it but try to drop the
export from core/extensions.xml for maven 4 to stick to previous rule since
we can't do it for v3.

Romain Manni-Bucau