From: Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2023 4:31 PM
To: dev@maven.apache.org
Subject: Re: GH issues and GH discussions

Am 2023-05-27 um 22:21 schrieb Jeremy Landis:
> Not sure if was mentioned.  Spring moved all their legacy Jira for all their
> projects entirely to GitHub Issues.  Believe it was done with everything.
>
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsprin
> g.io%2Fblog%2F2019%2F01%2F15%2Fspring-framework-s-migration-from-jira-
> to-github-issues&data=05%7C01%7C%7Cd2dc9ef5900c4dfc10e508db5ef14e59%7C
> 84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638208162715371992%7CUnknow
> n%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLC
> JXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Z5DiJtHc5rqBVITjWitrTQ%2FtkhRFCKD%2
> BJ%2F%2FAw6we%2B9Q%3D&reserved=0
>
> Now concerns of MS are unfounded thus far.  MS is biggest user of github
> which is why they bought it.  Not sure that is still the case but after some
> 14 years, issues have not cost anything and moving them back out is about as
> easy of a process.  Plus issues and pull requests are effectively the same
> thing (at least numbering wise).  Comparing to items I've seen mentioned here
> like google code shutting I don’t think are very fair comparisons.  I would
> lean to look at spring and see their motivation.
>
> Rest is my 2 cents don't feel inclined to read my rambling.
>
>  From a plugin owner where all I use issues only, working at a job where Jira
> has become a time tracking tool, and the fact its so hard to work with any
> github team that uses jira....  Sure I figured it out with maven but it’s a
> serious pain....and leads to...how I feel.  And I’m sure true for most others
> are the same.  I prefer to not even contribute or be active as a result on
> any repos that are using jira.  Let's be honest here.  Atlassian is just
> doing nothing with their products.  Jira looks the same today it did 14 years
> ago.  Bitbucket looks the same as Stash before it with some minor color
> changes.  They are losing market share as a result as they cannot even handle
> volume.  Jira is a bloated mess.  If team is trying to do agile, that’s built
> into github too.  Its so much easier to be in one single place.  I've heard
> these arguments that github might go away for years now or MS owning it now
> might do like Oracle.  They did something right here.  MS consideration is a
> lot like Oracle, super heavy handed in what they do but the foundation was
> set and unlike MS trying to end Slack with ugly Teams, they choose not to do
> the same with GH.  Outside of some assumed "they mess it all up and ruin our
> lives", I think the benefits far outweight all concerns.
>
> I'd be -1 on only having issues in one place but maybe as a jumping off point
> to find all the repos.  Blame feature doesn't really help, no one sees those.
>  Issues needs turned on for all repos.  In fact, if you want to continue
> jira, fine, but open issues up.  If someone as a small concern, only making
> them raise on mailing lists or jira is a nightmare.  This is by far biggest
> reason I hate bitbucket - no issues, use jira.  Too many times and I'm sure
> [...]

Interesting, having used JIRA for 10+ years as well as GH and a huge GL
installation (300 000+ users), I consider that both GH's and GL's issue handing
is just inferior to JIRA. Especially when it comes to linking and alike.
Note: I am looking only from a technical perspective, leaving politics and
capitalism aside.
Regarding UI: Though, I don't understand your problem with JIRA UI -- you
haven't used Polarion. That has a horrible UI and UX, JIRA is decades ahead.
Plus, changing somehing for the sake of the change is just wrong. If something
works well, just a bit finetuning. Don't reinvent the wheel.