+1 for the move to Java 17 with Maven 4 (am actually for "move to latest
current Java LTS")

As anyone can see, all the major (OSS) projects did or are in the middle of
pushing for Java 17.
In September we have Java 21. The Java release cadence has changed, and it
did not change yesterday, but a long time ago, so users should live with it.