On 2023/06/01 06:28:18 Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> JDK 8 active support ended 15 months ago, so I think that's definitely fine
> to require a newer version. I don't think we should wait and support JDK 8
> until 2030 and then switch from JDK 8 to what, JDK 24 ? That's really not a
> good plan imho and that's what maintenance branches are used for.  The JDK
> release cycle has changed and the whole java ecosystem is adapting to this
> faster release cycle.

So what? All we need to make sure that Maven runs on it, not requires it.

> So I think we should:
>   * maintain a 3.x branch with JDK 8 and provide bug fixes
>   * set up 4.x branches to require at least the oldest actively supported
> JDK at the time the first micro version is released (so that would be 17 by
> the time 4.0.0 comes out) and 21 by the end of 2026 (maybe 4.2.0 ?)
> JDK 17 can still target JDK 8 for compilation, so that should cover most
> needs.

We do already actively support newer JDKs.

> If needed, we could even automatically download a JRE 17 at first usage
> (using [1] but we'd have to check for upgrades, etc...) and continue the
> work for discovering toolchains [2], etc... to help users. We could also
> make JDK toolchains much easier to use by modifying the project model and
> adding specific support for it.  That would allow selecting the toolchains
> very early in the build, thus allowing toolchain based jdk activation, and
> would make the configuration much simpler.  Though I have a feeling that
> all this is not really necessary...

This sounds like a total waste of time and yet another NIH syndrome. Someone
else has invented package managers aleady.

I am still against, we gain very little compared to the junk we still have in
the basement. It requires a massive cleanup: JIRA has > 2000 open issues and
rising. Cases, important ones not resolved for years. I don't see a reason to
do something new if the foundation isn't clean.