On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 10:59 AM Delany <delany.middle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the point I'm making is no-one wants to write in an older version
> of the language they started writing in. Its tedious. Anyone who started
> writing java11 code is going to have a hard time accepting they need to
> write in java8, just as a java8 will bulk at writing in java5. Of course
> for the oldies it just feels nostalgic.

Strongly disagree. I personally would strongly prefer to stick to Java
*7*, although these days I use mostly 8 and 11. IMHO Java 8 and Java
11 were significant downgrades for clarity of code and ease of use.
While there were some nice improvements in libraries and VM in those
versions, they are completely swamped by the truly awful lambda syntax
and the useless pain of the Java Platform Module System.

Nor is it like we've finished the work of migrating onto Java 8. Just
this past week I replaced some code that hasn't been needed since Java
*1.4*.

Migrating to still newer Java versions is a distraction from far more
important work. We haven't even moved all the plugins off Java 7 yet.
The burden of proof is on people who want to migrate to Java 17 to
show how that will improve the project. That burden has not been met.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org