Hi,

On 05.06.23 13:21, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 10:59 AM Delany <delany.middle...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think the point I'm making is no-one wants to write in an older version
of the language they started writing in. Its tedious. Anyone who started
writing java11 code is going to have a hard time accepting they need to
write in java8, just as a java8 will bulk at writing in java5. Of course
for the oldies it just feels nostalgic.

Strongly disagree. I personally would strongly prefer to stick to Java
*7*,

> although these days I use mostly 8 and 11. IMHO Java 8 and Java
11 were significant downgrades for clarity of code and ease of use.

Ok... my experience is completely different... working from the
beginning on JDK8 after first GA of JDK11 on JDK 11 and now on JDK17 ...
also JDK 18...20 etc. At the moment experimenting with JDK21...

While there were some nice improvements in libraries and VM in those
versions, they are completely swamped by the truly awful lambda syntax
and the useless pain of the Java Platform Module System.

The JPMS is opt-in NOT opt-out.. and useless depends on the point of
view...

Lambda syntax etc. is a thing you should get used to... if not it's fine
don't use it...

Nor is it like we've finished the work of migrating onto Java 8.

Have we really decided to "migrate" to Java 8? We are changing code when
someone is working on it and willing to do that ... if not it's fine too...

It takes time to migrate that size of code base which is fine to do that
step by step and not as a big-bang part... because at that time can be
decided to use newer language features (if they make sense)..

 Just
this past week I replaced some code that hasn't been needed since Java
*1.4*.

That's very good...

Migrating to still newer Java versions is a distraction from far more
important work.

We are an open source project and anyone can work on anything a person
would like to work on...

And what is the important work ?

We haven't even moved all the plugins off Java 7 yet.
The burden of proof is on people who want to migrate to Java 17 to
show how that will improve the project. That burden has not been met.

So there is a need to prove that JDK17 is better for the project than
getting further and further behind...

From my point of view JDK11+ already proven that in itself... because
we gain performance (CDS or something like CraC etc), less memory..
which can improved by using JDK11+ language features etc. also making
things visible which only need to (JDK17: sealed classes without the
hard jump to the JPMS)...

BTW: Other projects already moved that path ... for example Maven Tycho
Project starting with 3.0.0 requires JDK17 as minimum.... Also
mentioning (several times) Spring Boot 3.0+ etc.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise