On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 4:20 PM Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd really like to
>   * use JEP 442 to get rid of the JNI and native libs in jline, jansi and
> mvnd (but that's for JDK 21)

JEP 442 won't be ready for I'm not sure how many JDKs yet. I wouldn't
expect Maven to depend on it this decade. JAnsi we could simply remove
though. jline and mvnd I know nothing about.

>   * use JEP 380 (unix domain sockets) to be able to cleanly implement
> https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/pull/269

No opinion

>   * use some helper methods that have been added: List.of(),
> Stream.toList(), Files.readString() to name just a few
>   * have syntactic sugar with text blocks, enhanced switches...

Not worth the pain we'd cause users. We haven't finished updating to
utility methods available in Java **7** yet. In general, before we
talk about new JDK versions I'd like to make sure we're taking
advantage of the JDK version we have. Moving random files and methods
to java 20+ is just confusing and makes little difference in code
cleanliness or execution speed.

There's plenty of much more important maintenance work in the queue.
Some of our plugins still aren't on parent POM 39. We have code
written to support entire operating systems that have been sold or
supported for years. <cough>Netware</cough>. Let's deal with that
cruft first.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org