On 05.01.24 16:19, Michael Osipov wrote:
On 2024/01/05 14:37:44 Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
+1 Also the point JDK11 (maybe even higher JDK17?) for Maven 4.0.0 as
minimum runtime requirement..

This reminds me of https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/10902 and it
provides very good reasons why not to do it. Maven is a low level tool -- as
such it has to be available to as many devs as possible.

Hm.. I have to admit that I don't see the relationship to OpenSSL and
C++ compilers / Perl etc. and which reason do you have in mind?

But for Maven 4. I see no problem in upgrading the minimum requirement
to JDK 17 (runtime)... If people can not upgrade (for whatever reason)
they can continue to use Maven 3.X ... Also as I mentioned several times
before even with JDK 17 you can build code for java 7... and if that is
not sufficient you can use Toolchain... (also mentioned several times
before)...

Apart from that if I take that argument in consequence (also mentioned
several times before)... than we have to stop any upgrade in JDK minimum
version and go back to JDK 1.5 or even 1.4 (or even less)...because
there are people using those ancient versions...

https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/devecosystem-2023/java/
https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/devecosystem-2022/java/
https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/devecosystem-2021/java/

Kind regards