On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:00 PM Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> For start, I think Martin assumed the "build time Java requirement for
> Maven4"?
>
> If so, my "vote" would be like:
> * build time: "latest LTS" (fixed at the moment when 4.0.0 GA happens,
> until then we just follow LTS), post GA "we adjust to latest LTS on each
> minor release (so 4.1, 4.2, etc)"
> * run time: this is the fun part: with Java 21 we already get a warning
> that `release=8` is deprecated. So, basically that above introduces a hard
> minimum limit (as given LTS allows). But I think we are with that, as it
> really makes sense that a Java build (and comprehension bla bla) tool
> _follow_ Java lifecycle, as things and new features are just flying past us
> (think JPMS support in Maven), etc.

That sounds like the tail is wagging the dog. I'd start with the
minimum version of Java we need to be able to build for. Right now I'd
say that's Java **1.7** as I can point to major open source projects
sitting underneath a lot of other projects and products that require
that. E.g. google-http-java-client

Given that, I wouldn't go higher for Maven itself than what can
generate jars for that version, ideally without warnings.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org