I agree this is a problem. Not the first time that a new Java language
feature has caused problems for much existing code. Who else remembers
that JUnit's assertTrue used to be simply assert? That was an ugly
one.

In this case, I'm not yet sold that the cure isn't worse than the
disease. In particular I'm not sure a change in the pom format is
justified. There's too much existing code, documentation, tooling,
and, most importantly,  knowledge inside developers' heads to make
this change pain free. If we were starting from a green field, then
this would certainly make sense, but since we're not I think there'll
be less pain by sticking with the status quo.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org