[...]
> Then you can do
> maven.multiproject.site.goal=site
> or
> maven.multiproject.site.goal=multiproject:site
>
> depending on the context.

I feel that both your and mine solutions are hacks.
First one requires to override goals, second binds two plugins: site and
multiproject.
Before proposing my solution - which I hope will be the temporary one - I
thought about both options
and I have chosen the one which was subjectively less harmful.

> As a more general case, perhaps we should have:
> maven.multiproject.type=multiproject

I am already using it and for example multiproject:install goal works pretty
fine.

> and flip that to multiproject:site automatically. This will also make
> multiproject:install, etc recurse properly. WDYT?

I actually think that once we will make it properly multiproject plugin
won't be needed anymore.
You will do something like:

maven install
maven site
maven idea

and those goals will render different results in the context of "normal"
project and "multiproject" project.
That's why I am not in favour of putting the new functionality into
multiproject plugin. I'd prefer to have it decentralized.
And imo it is better to ask users to put the functionality and behaviour
which is not yet standardized into scripts
then to ask them to use plugins which are simply bad as this usually serves
as an example of a contract between plugins and will be spread.

As the comment to discussion between Vincent and Jason regarding aggregation
of reports (whish is loosly connected to that)
I will also add that it will be interesting to see also transitive
(multilevel) aggregation of results.

Michal