Then you can do
maven.multiproject.site.goal=site
or
maven.multiproject.site.goal=multiproject:site

depending on the context.

I feel that both your and mine solutions are hacks.
First one requires to override goals, second binds two plugins: site and
multiproject.
Before proposing my solution - which I hope will be the temporary one - I
thought about both options
and I have chosen the one which was subjectively less harmful.

I don't see what you mean. This entails no change to the site plugin. Yes, multiproject depends on site, but it already does. This more closely emulates the features of m2's reactor, whereas goal overriding does not exist in m2.

But regardless, the second solution seemed better where multiproject type was used.

As the comment to discussion between Vincent and Jason regarding aggregation
of reports (whish is loosly connected to that)
I will also add that it will be interesting to see also transitive
(multilevel) aggregation of results.

Agreed, aggregation should operate to multiple levels, as does inheritence.

- Brett