[...]

> This will still work - you should be able to drop in
> maven-model-4.0.1
> and it still works with code that expected 4.
> Converters, which care more about any version differences,
> will need to
> access v400 and v401.

That's why I think it is more complicated then it needs to be.

The first question is what kind of converters do you imagine here?
Do you imagine that we will have converters between v400 and v401?.
And for example between v400 and v405? How such converters will be
implemented?
Will we have converters between all version pairs possible? Chained
converters (v400->v401->v402-->...->v405)?

I am not keen at all about having such converters as both scenarios are
quite complex.
I hope that once we are ready with pom v4 it will be almost never radically
changed. Fundamental changes will go to v500 and m3 :)
And as v405 will  be backward compatible with v400 and we won't really need
a converter between them - just a parser which supports
both v400 and v405 in the same time.

Next question is what we can really do with converters between major
versions of POMs: e.g. between v3 and v4
and where and how such converter will be used?

POMs v3 is fundamentaly different the POMv4 and conversion between those two
versions can be partially automated but some information
e.g. releated to inheriatnce, plugin configuration, preGoal, postGoals used
in the project
is not really easy to transform. It will be easier if we had a tool which
will help to do this outside of m2 but I doubt that
m2 will be able to directly support all v3 POMs and perform the required
conversion is reliable way at the runtime.

Do I miss something about converters or I misunderstood them completely?

> >We should just not officialy release final version of POM
> v4.0.0 until we
> >are happy with all use cases which we want address in m2
> >(until we will reaach beta version).
> >

> This is exactly the plan.
>
> >I would also propose to re-think our numbering of POM
> versions and use the
> >following:
> >
> >v3 - < maven 1.0.X
> >v4 - < maven 1.1.X
> >v5 - < maven 2.0.X
> >

> I currently intend:
> v3.1.0 - Maven 1.1: non breaking additions.

Haven't we been planning to use new way of declaring project inheritance in
1.1 with help of groupId and artifactId versions tags (like in m)?

Michal