Hiya,

+1

Really the timing as U said sounds about right. Also this helps progress the use and development of the SCM plugin. BTW there was a pure Java SVN client in the works out there. Down the road it might be useful for adding more SCM goals to beef up the plugin:

http://tmate.org/svn/

Cheers,
Alex

Brett Porter wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to start a discussion about this to see what people think.

The reasons:
- timing is right as we wind down MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH
- HTTPS makes it more practical behind firewalls
- the tool support seems to be mostly there now (not perfect, but good enough)
- is being encouraged ASF wide

Proposed repositories to move:
maven
maven-plugins
maven-plugins-sandbox
maven-jelly-tags

Proposed layout in svn:
maven
maven-1
core (formerly maven)
trunk
branches
tags (hereafter abbreviated as t/b/t)
plugins
t/b/t
plugins-sandbox
t/b/t
jelly-tags
t/b/t
(and later on...)
wagon
t/b/t
scm
t/b/t
components (or maven-2?) maven-core
t/b/t
maven-model
t/b/t

Some points:

* Why t/b/t at plugins level, not for individual plugins?
easier to maintain the current structure, and plugins are infrequently branched.
When they are branched/tagged, they would be copied to, for example,
maven-plugins/branches/java/1.5-SNAPSHOT/...
The fact that this causes a different relative path to the extended parent is
problematic, so developing on the branch would require switcing your checkout to
the branch (which is possible), much like is done with CVS. I don't see an easy
way to avoid this (except for m2 style parent POM references :)

* What about Maven's subversion support?
The only remaining plugin missing support is maven-scm-plugin. I'm going to look
at adding it quickly, then revisit that plugin later to use maven-scm once it is
released.

What do others think?

Cheers,
Brett