The way I've been doing it so far is by having:

project1
  |_ src/resources
    |_ env1
      |_ [files or env1]
    |_ envN
      |_ [files or envN]
    |_ shared
      |_ [files shared by all envs]
  |_ [...]

And then having the logic to choose the resource files based on a
env.name=env1|envN property.

See http://www.pivolis.com/pdf/Enterprise_Builds_V1.0.pdf, pages 9 to 11.

However, I have always thought this selection of resource files based on a
deployment environment is something that the build system should help with
(which was not really the case with m1 where you had to implement it in an
ad-hoc fashion). Hence my question for m2: is m2 going to help in this
domain?

[snip]

> I don't think we want to put anything in settings.xml that is shared -
> what is in there are passwords and passhphrases and paths. The common
> things - repository url, etc are in pom.xml.
>
> What are you thinking is going into settings.xml that is shared?

I'm probably wrong then... :-)

-Vincent