[snip]

> Also, there's something I'm not sure I understand. Where do you tell m2
> that
> such plugin is to be called when a lifecycle goal is invoked. For example,
> invoking "m2 install" will invoke the maven-install-plugin because I guess
> it's bound by default. What if I wanted to write another installer plugin
> and let it be called instead of the default maven-install-plugin. How
> would
> I do that?
>
> Also, what if I wanted to have a plugin that is triggered just before (or
> after) the maven-install-plugin. I guess I would bind it to the install
> phase but how do I tell maven to execute it when "m2 install" is called?

I've just discovered the <goals> element of the POM. So I guess the answer
would be:

1/ the said plugin would first need to be bound to the right phase. For
example let's imagine there is a clover:instrument goal bound to the
generate-sources phase and a clover:compile goal bound to the compile phase.

2/ then in your pom.xml you would specify:

<build>
  <plugins>
    <plugin>
      <artifactId>maven-clover-plugin</artifactId>
      <goals>
        <goal>
          <id>clover:instrument</id>
        </goal>
        <goal>
          <id>clover:compile</id>
        </goal>
      </goals>
    </plugin>
  </plugins>
</build>

3/ Whenever the user would type something like "m2 compile" it would execute
the 2 goals.

Is that correct?

Question: how is the order defined between compiler:compile and
clover:compile in this case?

[snip]

Of course this still does not answer all the points from my earlier email
because this would still allow only one fixed build lifecycle.

-Vincent