On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:10:39AM +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago we agreed that we wanted group IDs to resemble packages.
> I'd like to start pushing for this. I will come up with a plan for
> migrating existing stuff without breaking compat and working with our
> sync partners, however the logic first step is to not allow any new
> MAVENUPLOADs to come in with a flat group ID, even if it is just a new
> version of the previous library. We can update the repository upload
> page accordingly.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Also, we need to bear in mind this is more than just Java, potentially,
> so let's think more about org. structure than package name. eg, I think
> org/apache/jakarta/commons instead of org/apache/commons is appropriate.
>
> One thing I'm a little hesitant about is the depth of the group. For
> example, if commons was the group, and one commons library (jelly) had
> more than one artifact, it either needs its own group, or it pollutes
> the commons namespace. If it has its own group, so should others, and
> that might be more information that we need. ie
> o/a/j/commons/collections; commons-collections. OF course, having an
> inconsistency is also an alternative.
>
> The options, by example (group; artifact):
> i) o/a/j/commons; commons-collections and o/a/j/commons;
> commons-jelly-tags-ant
> ii) o/a/j/commons/collections; commons-collections and
> o/a/j/commons/jelly; commons-jelly-tags-ant
> iii) o/a/j/commons; commons-collections and o/a/j/commons/jelly;
> commons-jelly-tags-ant

I'd like to see (ii) as the general strategy, just to make room for the
possibility of collections beeing split up into different parts. They
already have a Java 5+ version coming already (although on sf.net). I just
see it all the time that stuff are split up after some time.

> I'm inclined to go with (iii), and maybe even add /tags/ to te group.
> The inconsistency seems ok to me as long as it is documented on the
> site, and they all have a common root.

+1 for /tags/, we have /plugins/ in maven.

--
Trygve