I think the important considerations are to preserve the committer
access that we have in mojo. That is, make sure it's not a major burder
to commit a new commons(?) API/project when you're a mojo committer...

Aside from that, we have to also consider the day when we'll be able to
replace all kinds of components in Maven. I'm thinking specifically of
alternate repository layouts, artifact resolvers, project builders, etc.
These need a home, and while they may not need the same accessibility as
the mojo-support libs, they need to be outside the release cycle of the
main maven core. Maybe some sort of maven-commons top-level project or
something?

~From typing this, I can see that it's likely I'm talking about two
different things. Mojo-supporting libraries, which should reside in one
umbrella project (akin to mojo.codehaus.org, or maybe within it?); and
alternate Maven components to replace the default implementations in the
core, which may reside in a new top-level project within the Maven SVN
at apache...

- -john

mojo.codehaus.org<http://mojo.codehaus.org>project...