I worry a bit about mixing unit and integration tests generally...

maybe we have the recommended case for them go into
src/integration-test/java or something along those lines...

logically the structure src/test/java and src/test/it doesn't do it for me
since it tests are probably written in java anyway, so that kinda breaks the
spirit of 'src'/'type'/'language' convention we kind of have going..

as for the rest of it, I like adding the phases...I remember the last time
we talked about this there was a bit of concern that arose based on 'where
do we stop?' in supporting different testing strategies...integration tests
make sense to support in the lifecycle, but should integration tests embody
the deployment of a generated ear and automated tests against a container
started by the build system?  or the running of tests generated by something
like the axistools plugin that can reach out and test
connectivity/functionality for a webservices client?  I think there was
general consensus on the integration testing phase, but some question on the
later type of testing...and I think the formalization of the integration
testing into maven then was delayed to consider if these other types of
testing might prompt some reworking of the existing framework...

there, I think I captured the jist of that discussion, it was on irc a few
months ago..

jesse