On 12/28/05, Vincent Massol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure but there's a very common use case for integration testing: the need
> have environment setup before the test and to clean it after the tests. Of
> course you could write all sort of plugin to that the plugin support doing
> this itself but then you're no longer flexible and you're not providing a
> solution to lots of other use cases.

I think that was the jist of that irc conversation...is that still an
integration test or is it something else, later in a formal testing
strategy..

I know a lot of people approach things as

unit tests - test code in the subproject
integration tests - test subproject interactions, with stubbing of
environmental factors and formally testing interactions between the project
and other projects/dependent projects
system tests - full system testing, including tests against a deployed
system

I had to scrape around for the right term for that last testing stage
name...found it on wikipedia at the bottom of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_testing is the actual page for it, but
the summary is:

System testing is testing conducted on a complete, integrated system to
> evaluate the system's compliance with its specified requirements. System
> testing falls within the scope of Black box testing, and as such, should
> require no knowledge of the inner design of the code or logic. System
> testing takes, as its input, all of the "integrated" software components
> that have successfully passed Integration testing and also the software
> system itself integrated with any applicable hardware system(s). The purpose
> of Integration testing is to detect any inconsistencies between the software
> units that are integrated together called assemblages or between any of the
> assemblages and hardware. System testing is more of a limiting type of
> testing, where it seeks to detect both defects within the
> "inter-assemblages" and also the system as a whole.

so that is where I am coming from.. :)  it sounds like your example there
ought to qualify as a seperate phase all together..

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesseDOTmcconnellATgmailDOTcom