Check the plugins that use plexus-utils at [1] and try to upgrade at least those (again: careful with the artifact plugin).

Cheers,
-Lukas

[1] http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/bundled/dependency-convergence-report.html

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
OK, maven-plugins works for me when I upgrade to jxr plugin 1.5. But my other project 'jetstyle' still fails with the same message. But that's not important.

At least now we know that there is a work-around available - fix your local class path by upgrading plugins. Hopefully these will all go away once Maven 1.1 is out.