From: Jochen Wiedmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 4:34 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: A plugins nature

Hi,

in the last weeks I have thought a little bit about Maven plugins. The
initial question was my desire to reuse another plugin.

There are good reasons for reusing plugins. As an example, think of a
plugin, which creates a jar file. Might be the retro* plugins or
something like that.I would think it makes sense to reuse the jar
plugin in such a case.

The problem with reusing plugins is that they consist in fact of two
parts: One part is the lifecycle management. The other part is the
actual code. For example, the jar plugin contains some rules which
ensure that it is called in the "package" phase. Besides, there is
code which actually creates a jar file based on a configuration.

The point I am trying to make is that such a plugin should possibly be
split into these two parts. If so, the implementation part might be
reused, while the lifecycle management part might still perform its
task.

What do you think?

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                            -- The Princess Bride