On 17/07/2006 6:09 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
Hi all

Since I'm new here as a committer, I have a couple of questions regarding deployment.

1. The main Maven site

Is any committer allowed to deploy (or publish) the site at any time?

What's the procedure for doing that? Do you just check out the latest from svn and do:
  mvn site-deploy

Are there any special prerequisites, like what version of Maven and the site plugin to use, that you must fulfill before you do it? Perhaps some bits to put in your settings.xml.

Assuming you know what you are doing, I think this is fine. mvn site-deploy with the latest release of the site plugin (which I think is recorded in the site pom) should be fine (it requires maven 2.0.4+, so that is a prereq). Default permissions should be fine.

2. A Maven plugin site

Same questions as for the main site. I understand that one can't deploy a plugin site which has changes in it relating to features not yet released.

Correct. However, there is that new @since feature for fields - if we do that for goals and are disciplined about documenting new features with a note to say what feature it was added in, this should be fine to do whenever as well.

Note that due to the other issue being discussed on the list, you may need a snapshot of Maven to build plugin sites.

3. Plugin SNAPSHOT

I would like to deploy a snapshot of the maven-changes-plugin, which is in the sandbox. Am I allowed to do that? If so how do I do it? I'm guessing:
  mvn deploy:deploy
with some setting to direct it to the snapshot repo.

mvn deploy will do it. The fact that it is a snapshot version directs it to the correct repo.

If there is an online resource where I can read about all this, then please direct me to it. I looked but couldn't find any...

Documenting dev procedures is definitely something we need to improve on as well (its probably taken a back seat to documenting how to use Maven itself, but it is equally important in getting new people involved).

- Brett

--
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/